HOW TO GROUND YOURSELF AND SET INTENTION WITH MEDITATION
Everyone has those times where things seem to be going out of control. You just can’t focus on any particular thing. Times like this are usually very exhausting and draining, both mentally and physically.
Luckily, there’s a way to escape this frustrating feeling. It involves grounding the energy in your body and connecting to the earth element. It sounds like something out of a monk’s playbook, but it is beneficial for anyone. Through meditation, you can ground yourself and set the right intentions, thereby improving both physical and mental well-being.
In this article, you will learn just how to do that.
Grounding your energy and setting intentions
The universe revolves around energy. Everything in the world has some form of energy. Your cell phone, generators, computer, light bulbs, and so on all require energy to function. That energy is usually in the form of electricity. In the same way, our body also needs energy to function.
The energy in the body is what makes it possible to perform tasks. This energy cannot be lost, and there can never be a shortage of energy in the body. But there are times where you feel drained and depleted of energy after a long day. You feel mental and physical fatigue. It feels like energy has left the body. This is because the energy is not being utilized in the right way.
Energy is always in constant motion, transforming and moving based on your intentions, actions, thoughts, and environment. Let’s consider a practical example. When you are scrolling through social media, and you read something amusing, you can feel an emotional and mental upliftment. Likewise, when you read something saddening or annoying, you feel down emotionally and mentally. All these are due to the way you direct energy based on your present feelings and intentions.
This example just goes to show that the way we direct energy has an impact on our mental state and well-being. What this implies, in the general sense of things, is that if we can direct our energy rightly and set the right intentions, we can achieve a grounded and calm state.
Grounding yourself can help you achieve a state of calmness and balance, which helps improve mental well-being. One of the ways of grounding yourself is by meditation. The meditation we will focus on is mindfulness. Mindfulness is a type of meditation that involves making a special and conscious effort to focus on the present moment while being aware of what you are feeling and thinking at the time.
Using meditation to ground yourself
Before we proceed, you need to understand that meditation is not something you can master in a day or two. You need regular practice and patience if you want to master it. With that said, let us consider how to use meditation to ground yourself.
- The first step is to find a suitable spot and position. You can use any spot, but beginners should start with a cool, quiet, and serene environment. Remove things that may distract you. You can take any posture you are comfortable with. Many start with a sitting posture.
- Be mindful of your breathing. Mindfulness involves being aware, so you should ensure you are mindful and aware of the sensations of your breathing. Inhale and exhale air slowly and deeply.
- Imagine a beam of light coming from above you. Trap that energy and bring it down into your body from your head.
- After bringing the energy into your body from your head, imagine the energy moving from your head to the sole of your feet, passing through your spine on its way down. When it reaches the sole of your feet, imagine the energy passes out of your body to the Earth.
- As the energy is leaving your body, imagine imbalances in the energy states of your body also leaving and ask that the energy leaving your body be washed clean of those imbalances.
- The next step is to bring the recycled energy from the Earth back up into your body. This energy from Earth is clean and grounding. Bring the energy up into your body from the sole of the feet and up to your hips.
- Reflect on what you need from that grounding energy. It may be calmness, safety, solidity, or any other quality you need. Be mindful of these qualities and the sensations they bring. At this point, you have to convince yourself that you can access these sensations whenever you want by focusing your intentions on the grounding energy in you.
All these will not last more than a few minutes, but its effects can last all through the day. As earlier mentioned, it may take some time getting used to, so don’t give up if it seems tough at first.
For more information about mindfulness, visit: